Forum home Tools and techniques

Perennials from seed

2»

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954
    Cheers Bekkie. I've got. Passion flower in my longer term plan - how lovely to have grown my own from seed. I've lots of time before the site is ready so I'll get on and have a go growing one. I didn't know what eupetorium was so looked it up and sounds ideal for my new bed that I'm intending to plant up in autumn - rough plan is herbaceous with grasses (hence the deschampsia in first post) with echinacea, achillea etc. eupetorium looks perfect for that and I think I've the right conditions. Thanks very much - KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING for perennials from seed. I've got a whole garden to cover so can do most conditions in terms of sun. Acid clay soil. Where not in full sun/ under trees or banked, soil can be moist.
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I found eupatorium when i visited trentham gardens last august, there late summer display was beautiful, hardy salvias, eupatorium, echinacia, grasses, it really was lovely.

How exciting to have a whole garden to play with image
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Or exhausting!image its the first year this year that I've been "tending" rather than just "refurbishing" ( cutting back, digging out, flattening banks of soil, ground elder hunting) and it's been lovely! I just pretend the not done bits aren't there.

I thought leaving the undone bits to weeds would mean that my new beds would be very weedy but hey haven't been too bad.  I've done ok in terms of pests too (famous last words?) so suspect having wild bits has helped wildlife look after itself.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    You are probably right, i do weed, but the garden dosent show it! I dont have much of a pest problem either, unless you count the dreaded carrot fly!

Its funny how you can enjoy all the hard work and being shattered isnt it! image