Forum home Plants

Tree advice

amberspyamberspy Posts: 353
Hi all im looking for advice for fast growing tree in height for corner bottom my back garden. Which gets full sun Reason fir tree as we quite overlooked hence after fast growing Alzo concerned about roots spread etc Garden us only average sized so not huge Happy to buy a mature tree

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,591
    Hello Amberspy........have you considered other alternatives at all ?

If your garden is average/small, a fast growing conifer may give you more problems than it would solve...........they are greedy trees and tend to take all the moisture.

Perhaps if you gave a little more info about the space you want to plant up, there will be others here who can offer some advice .

You can get a reasonably "fast" screen for privacy simply by using fence/trellis and some carefully thought out climbers.

I'd hang on for a bit more advice...........it is worth noting tho that mature trees will not take as well as younger ones ....image
  • amberspyamberspy Posts: 353
    Hi forgot to say that we don't want conifers .rather have something of more interest

Garden were tree will go is going be left hand corner which has five foot fence or so but with gardens being back to back with neighbours bedroom windows look into garden

We really use garden a lot but just starting doing it as its new build house
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I think Philipa has a point with a screen and climber, if you get a tree, you must be certain its what you want as you will be stuck with it! image

What height do you want it to reach?

Do you want flowers/ fruit?

Do you want an evergreen?

Do you want dense cover or just something to obscure the view?

My neighbour has grown what looks like a smome bush, but its green, its probably about 15ft tall and is stunning, its a good screen but not dense or overpowering, might be worth looking up image
  • I have a flowering cherry tree unsure of name. Bought two years ago and it was anti a metre tall. Now two metres tall. Flowers in the spring and the leaves turn. Golden in the autumn. A good tree if you have room, however mine is growing tall too quickly for my liking. I bought it from a garden centre for ??25 so a reasonable cost.
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Cherries are lovely John, there were lots planted on our estate around 50 years ago, i think they stop growing at arpud 20/25 ft, well thats what the ones here have reached image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,391

The problem with using cherries in a garden is that they're shallow rooted, and  if you cultivate around them they're prone to throwing up lots of suckers which can cause problems image

I think I'd investigate whether a combination of trellis and pergolas wouldn't provide the privacy needed. 

Buying, installing and caring for a newly planted mature tree can be quite an undertaking as well as very expensive.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh