Help to identify

Emma128Emma128 Posts: 7

Hi,

My sister gave me some of these plants that she was given from her neighbour. They are growing quite vigorously and I'm starting to think they might be weeds!

Was going to wait till they flowered before posting them but no sign yet.

Thank you

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,784
    It reminds me of geum - but I'm likely wrong as I can't ID most of my own plants.

Hopefully geum and not its friend avens anyway image
  • They look like geums - red, yellow or orange flowers on long stems and very pretty, but quite shortlived in my garden (2 to 3 years at most) - put them near the front of the border

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,274

They are a Geum of some type and should soon send up tall flowering stems.  There is a common weed variety (Wood Avens) which has small yellow flowers, so if those appear you need to dispose of them as it's a thug.  They do look like a nice cultivar though. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,394
    I think geums too. Very hardy and good flowerers as long as you haven't got the weedy one Bob mentions.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I'd say Geum too, I have one planted and got 12 free from GW, have just ordered some more. They are lovely when they flower image