help with blueberries please

Hi. Can anyone help me please? I've got 3 blueberry bushes; all in large pots and all in ericaceous compost. The leaves on the largest of the bushes (and also the smaller ones but to a much lesser extent) are covered in dark brown spots. Some of the leaves are completely covered so very little green is left. Does anyone know what this is and how I can resolve the problem? I've never really had much fruit from the bushes and they are approximately 5 years old now. Although fruit starts to form before it is fully formed it seems to die and drop off. I've tried replacing the compost but to no avail. Please help!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753
    The dark brown spots sound like a fungus, which could be bad news. I hesitate to suggest it, especially for food plants, but you might need a fungicidal spray.

Failure to set is usually a result of poor pollination or insufficient water or might be a secondary feature of the fungal infection - the plant doesn't have enough resources to produce fruit.

Have they been in the same pots for 5 years? They may be pot-bound.
    image I knew someone would have a better answer!

(One of these days I'll restrain myself until I know what I'm on about)
    That's OK - you obviously know what you're talking about; I was just extrapolating from other knowledge!
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Great tip buddyboy, i didnt know they need to be cut back after 5 years, if only i could remember when i got mine! image
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    At any point have i given the impression that i have ever thought about or looked into anything before i did it image

Will start to now tho image
  • Yes its definitely ericaceous compost. I made sure of that. The pots are in one of the sunniest positions in the garden. I haven't fed them (I'm ashamed to admit) though I have watered them with the nettle stew I made (which I had diluted down) I've never pruned them so I'll have a look on the rhs site
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

And use rain water not tap water