Deadheading roses

Chris NChris N Posts: 19

I have been deadheading my roses by just snapping off the remains of the spent blooms, is this correct?

Should I be cutting them off properly further down the stem using secateurs?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,656
    Well, I've always cut them back to a leaf node, but the RHS says to do what you do ... http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=129

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,444
    OH did some of our roses yesterday by just snapping off the flowers with his thumb. It looked dreadful with all those little stalks sticking up and likely to get dieback so I went round with the secateurs and trimmed back to a leaf node.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    How strange.....I was dead heading my roses last night (at 10 o'clock when I had nothing better to do!!) and wondered exactly the same, now I know, thanks for asking Chris image
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753
    I've always believed that cutting the stem just above the next node is the thing to do...
  • Chris 25Chris 25 Posts: 50

Chris you are right  just pinch them them that all you need to do.

cutting back to the bud is usually done November or early march to encourage healthy new growth.

Last year i took a cutting from an old English rose Jacues Cartier three cuttings have been grown in pots in a greenhouse since last year all have grown and flowering all about 18 inches high, one i am training to make a standard at present i have potted it on this morning has a stem 18 inches high with a good bushy top  and its the first time i have tried with a rose cutting it seam to be working.

• Chris 25Chris 25 Posts: 50

Orchid lady,

10 at night ?  well you must love gardening, your get the neibours talking LOL image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I've hardly been in the garden for a few days Chris and just got the urge to do something image
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283

I do either, depending on whether I happen to have the secateurs in my pocket and see no difference in the number of blooms produced. Trimming back to a leaf node does make them look neater though. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.