Forum home Fruit & veg

Dad to the Rescue

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233
My 84 year old Dad came over this lunchtime as he always does on a Saturday. I thought I'd show him my tomatoes,knowing how experienced he is with growing veg. It turns out I've not been pinching out side shoots anywhere near as much as I should and on two plants I have a divergent stem. He advised removing each extra stem and some of the lowest leaves because I'd got much too much foliage.Hopefully the plants can now kick on,but my Dad's vast knowledge is priceless it really is image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916
    That's good news Fishy.

My dad taught me how to grow toms and in his later years I grew them from seed for him, potted on and established in GH. The first time I suspected he had dementia was when he he did strange things to his toms. Soz no bambuzzled smiley !!
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233
    That's really touching KEF and I'm so sorry for your Dad and yourself. My Dad has had angina for a few years now but touch wood he is pretty fit for his age. My Mum I lost to cancer in 1998. I love though how gardening brings people together and all those tips and all that advice are worth their weight in gold.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233
    Hi Edd. Yes I have two trusses on each plant,except for one plant which seems to be a bit weaker and has only one image
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916
    Thanks Fishy my Dad is long gone but the tomatoes continue..winkie face! Good luck with yours, toms, not Dad. !!