Forum home Plants

Anyone good with tricky seeds

bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
Hi, im generally pretty good with seeds, but ive tried tropaeolum sepeciosum a couple of times no with no luck, does anyone have any tips please? image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,272

The seeds can take a long time to germinate - sometimes more than a year. This plant grows happily all over my garden and I don't mind where it turns up I just let it get on with ti

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi ladybird,thanks for that, oops, it looks like ive been too inpatient! image
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,327

I agree with Ladybird and always sow 'tricky' seeds in pots rather than trays and cover the surface with fine grit.  That way you can leave them for a year or two without too many weed seeds blowing in and germinating, and they are easier to move around than trays or modules when you need the space.  I sowed some Dierama (Slieve Donard) in February and only noticed last week that they had finally surfaced.  No sign of the Jap. acers sown last September but I'll give those another year - I think they needed a colder stratification period than we had last Winter - 2 days of frost doesn't really count! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

I'm still getting germinations from my artificial winter Bob,  couple of months in the fridge when the weather had failed to perform.  Arisaema tortuosum germinated last week and fidgets Roscoeas about 3 weeks ago.

Nice one, nut.  I've now been banned from using the fridge for gardening purposes (keep forgetting to wash my mitts!) but have an idea..  I'll tell OH we need a new one and can then stick the old one in the garage. image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233
    That sounds like a good plan Bob image

Yes, the shed fridge is for wine and seedsimage

I don't like my beer chilledimage

Yep, the thought of a few cans and bottles had indeed crossed my mind Buddyboy! image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Oh dear, this last few seeds are in cells, nevermind, will give them more time than the others got, then can start again if nothing happens.

When mixing drinking with seed sowing, dont you all have any mix ups? Im daft enough when im sober! image

Can't drunk in charge of a seed bekkieimage

I have to get all thinking done before I get the bottle open. No chance after that. 

Not much beforeimage