General

Lou11Lou11 Posts: 2

Hi Monty,

I really like your show - watch it every week. I am in Australia, in a sub-tropical area, so I salivate over the beautiful gardens in the UK. I can't grow most of my favourite plants because it is too hot and humid here in summer, and we don't get enough cold in winter, so I live my 'cold climate cottage garden' through your show.

I was interested to see you planting 'quaking grass' in this week's show. We have that here but we call it 'shivery grass'. I used to love playing with it as a kid. We have two types - a very small variety with the 'shivery' bits only a few millimetres big, and a much larger version, which looked similar to what you were planting.

Even though our seasons are opposite and climates very different, I have still learned a great deal from watching your programme. Love it!

Kind regards,

Louise P.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477
    Hi Lou,

So interesting that you can watch Gardeners World in Australia. I have two sisters who live in Australia and would love to watch GW. Which channel is it on and when so I can let them know? Which part do you live in?
  • Lou11Lou11 Posts: 2

Hi Forester2,

I watch it on the computer at this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p021r6vg. I can't watch the full show, but I can watch the clips that are online. I make sure and do it on our Saturday morning - I don't think they are available there for long. Unfortunately, the full program is not available outside the UK, but the clips are. It's a bit disjointed just watching the clips, but at least I get to see it!

I am in Coffs Harbour, on the north coast of New South Wales.

Cheers,

Lou.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Lou, that is very interesting as I feel exactly the opposite. After a trip to Sydney last year I vowed never to grow as house-plants the wonderful variety of plants that grow in the gardens in such profusion!

It is just not worth the effort to nurture poor specimens of plants that tumble over fences, and shade houses, everywhere.

I was especially interested to see how close some trees are planted to houses in Sydney when we are so obsessed with roots in the UK.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477
    Thanks for that info Lou - I will pass that on. What a lovely spot you live in. One of my sisters lives near the Newcastle area south of you. I know watering is a big issue, but I am always amazed at how green the pavement verges are. Can you post a picture of your garden on here for folks to see what you are growing.