Blanket weed

We have a problem with a new pond which until a couple of weeks ago was appearing to settle well with frog spawn and tadpoles and then froglets However they have now all hopped off and the pond is growing lots of green slimy blanket weed Any advice on how to manage this would be appreciated

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,523
    I just poke a bamboo cane into it and twist it, a bit like spaghetti on a fork and pull it out. Not too much at a time or you pull all the pondweed out with it. Then I spread it out to make sure there's none of the larger pond inhabitants in in there and leave it on the side of the pond for the small ones to find their way back to the water, which they do.

The pond can go for ages with only a tiny amount of blanket weed in it, which is fine because some of the wildlife in the pond likes it, but then suddenly it increases, and this is when I remove most of it.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112
    I've left most of mine in. the tadpoles were in and out of it and seemed to be eating it. They've gone now and the weed seems to have found a stable level. I did spend many an hour last year pulling small amounts out, putting it in a pyrex bowl and sifting through it. I found that it was too dense and heavy to get the fairy shrimp and other larvae without damaging them if I didn't use the bowl.Quite time consuming and really need the specs on. I believe it should be better once the water lilies grow and provide shade.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Many thanks for your thoughts everyone

We have been twirling it out and leaving it on the side but after just 4days away this week, we came back to quite a cauldron, bubbling merrily away and just wondered if there was anything else we could try

We haven't seen the barley extract but have seen some barley straw - quite small though , not a bale, and will try that first.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,523
    The barley extract is very good - you can get it online or at most pond and aquaria stockists.

I should have mentioned it 'cos it's probably that keeping the problem subdued enough to make the twirling cane an easy job.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks I will have a look for it definitely worth a try