Help to value fruit trees

Hi

I hope someone can help

We are having some repair work carried out by our insurers. Unfortunately it has killed several established and fruiting plum trees in the process. 

The insurance company says it will pay to replace them or to their value, however I have no idea how to value them..

Their were:

5 x 2-2.5m approx 2-5cm diameter Opal plum (or similar)

4 x 3-4m, approx 5cm diameter Jefferson plum (or similar)

2 x over 5m, approx 6-8cm diameter, Victoria plums

I have looked online but am struggling to find prices for established trees.

Can anyone help please.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,932

You wouldn't be able to get trees of that size. It will take several years for new trees to get to that size. Maybe you should work out a value of say 5 years crop of plums that you won't have, assuming you know what weight of plums you get off each year.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,104

Try asking a reputable fruit tree nursery ..........they may well be able to give you a reasonable valuation for established producing fruit trees.

Better to offer some knowledgable assessment otherwise your insurance company may quibble .

Best of luckimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,293

Yes, as fidget said, and add that to the cost of buying pot-grown trees which are as old as you can find (which will probably be 2 year olds.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.