Garden Birds

I think that where I live today the rain has actually attracted more birds into my garden. I must of counted a least 20 House Sparrows all at one time with around 5 Starlings, two blackbirds and then later on a Blue Tit and a Pigeon. The bird table was so full of birds I don't think that you could of fitted another one on and the ground was alive with House Sparrows. I don't think I have ever seen so many Sparrows at once.

And so what seems to keep most gardeners inside brings more birds out.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,061

I love gardening in the rain..........I get grubby and wet but I meet a lot of other wet people too ........mostly birds and frogs..........more invigorating than the relentless sun and my salad leaves are newly washed so can just pick and eat as I go around the gardenimage

Sorry to the sun loversimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

That's Ok by me Philippa. All the pigment is falling out of my skin, I don't do sun.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,783

I wish it would rain here...image

I'll swap anyone 30 starlings for a full water butt?

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 512

Yes I agree VS . I have 5 empty water butts as it hasn't rained since 7th June. We have stuff in the greenhouse and about 40 planters to water, that's without the borders being so dry. I've taken to standing a bucket in the shower with me to catch the spray, Each time rain is forecast we miss it. Lots forecast for Essex tomorrow, but will we miss it again? I hope not

Ask Dove Victoria, flash floods in Norfolk. Most of it missed us.

• You may get the rain there tomorrow, we had it today and it was really strong rain in the afternoon.

Done deal Victoria.......I've now got 7 butts full but only a couple of Starlings (tho the figs aren't ripe yet)image

Nutcutlet........I like the sun but in reasonable doses.  I don't think this last few weeks have been reasonable IMHO.  I spent a couple of years in Spain before moving to France........I really liked the idea of the winter sun.......it was wonderful and I could grow all my exotics to perfection which was my reasoning at the time........but the summers...........I obviously didn't think that one thru image There is one born every minute I supposeimage

It was all around us today WG and we did have some and some thunder.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,783

Yes, I've been enviously reading about the rain- even the hailstones would do at this point. I have 5 waterbutts too diggingdoris- that's 1250 litres gone pretty much on containers and topping up the pond.

It's been forecasted here several times and nothing has happened - I hoped the neighbour putting out washing might bring it on but nothing doing...image

That's a deal Philippa- boxing them up as I typeimage

Victoriaimage