Forum home Fruit & veg

Anyone good with onions?

I've sussed out how to get and store the seeds, its the same as wild garlic basically.. but what about the plant? It's looking greener than ever! If I leave it in the soil, will it do anything, or do they usually die after releasing seeds?

I'm so excited right now, I could explode myself! haha image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,278

It doesnt look like its out in flower yet.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mel McbrideMel Mcbride Posts: 112

The ball opened two days ago. It's a matter of weeks now, that will fly by!

You need to wait til you get a lovely ball of flowers, then let them dry, then harvest, free seeds for next year, yay!!

What about the plant itself though Lyn, will it die, or is it worth keeping it? I have tunnel it can go in over winter

No Mel, the onion will have ' blown ' as they say. You wont be able to eat it and it wont keep, when a plant of any type flowers and sets seeds, it conciders its job over. But it will live on in its sedds for next year.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

I have a couple of leeks that are going to flower. The bees love them. They are in the middle of the broad bean patch, but  so what.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Thanks Lyn x

All my leeks failed on me this year fidget, or maybe I failed them really eek!

Me too probably Mel I havent had time to get them in the ground yet, still in little pots.

I've ran out of space now too. Unless I get the shovel out again image