Forum home Talkback

Fruit from pips

Hello, I have managed to grow from pips the start of what appears to be 2 apple plants and 2 orange plants,will these ever bear fruit as they get older or do they need to be grafted onto other stock. Any information at all would be helpful

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,581

The apple needs to be grafted, no fruit from a pip

Dont know about oranges, didnt think it was warm enough in this country.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

There are lots of apples growing in hedgerow or at the side of busy roads, where apple cores have been thrown. They will not be identical to the parent apple. They may take many  years to flower and fruit.  Oranges need heat to survive the winter. Apples are grafted on to rootstocks to control the size of the tree.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks for the info, did'nt really think they would amount to much apart from being able to say I did get them to grow from a pip , thanks again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405

When my children were small and we had a conservatory we used to grow citrus pips - orange and tangerine, grapefruit and lemon - we grew them on and they became like small houseplants - probably about a foot tall - they didn't fruit but they flowered a lot - there was always one of them blooming, and the conservatory smelt fantastic. Great fun and worth doing for the perfume alone image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Didnt Monty do something about this on GW in the spring, possibly the autumn? Maybe it was grapefruit, i assume its the same principle, but he said it would take years and years to get fruit from a citrus pip image
  • thanks again folks for the information