Wildflower meadow not growing!

Hi, We sowed wildflowers loads of them in two beds this year. The first three years we did this they were wonderful , but last year and this year there is absolutely nothing germinated. What have we done wrong?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,455

Is it an annual wildflower mix?

Did you buy the seed or save it from previous years?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, Has the grass taken over? Is there any yellow rattle growing? image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,983

Are you there Jenny and John.

There are quite a few wild flower growers on the forum, all we need is to know what sort of meadow (grass/cornfield/other) you want and what and when you sowed

I hope if the bees are in the flowers won't take 3 years Edd.image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,701
    What effect could a large amount of introduced bees have on the local ones, Edd, if any?

I know bees use different flowers because of their tongue length but I've often wondered about this...

Sorry OP for butting in - I'll disappear when you come back image
  • MarineliliumMarinelilium Posts: 202
    Did you scarify the meadow after the second year? Disturbing the soil gets some of the seeds below the soil where they will wait until really chilled (stratification) kicks off their germination process. Can take several years of work. Meadows take time and more effort than you think.

Grass meadows, as opposed to flower meadows, do create an amazing habitat for Ringlets, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, cinnabar moths etc. I have pics of mauve, pink and cream grasses just alive with butterflies but no pics are posting today

I reckon a big problem for those trying to establish wildflowers is not appreciating the difference between an annual wild flower mix and a perennial grass meadow or other type of planting

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,458
    Marinelilium - please may we see the pics tomorrow - hopefully things will be back to normal then image
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

The only thing that doesn't work for me at the moment is 'quote'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,458
    That looks lovely Nut image
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh