Suggestions for filling a small south facing border

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,650

Hebes interspersed with alliums will give structure through summer as well as attracting  bees. Easy to acquire and maintain. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Wow Thankyou very much! Maternity leave started and so a bit of (gentle) digging can commence and visits to garden centres (with good cafes)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,262
    I remember my first one being a week late so I went out and did some heavy digging on a clayey border - no use - he stayed where he was for another week!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarineliliumMarinelilium Posts: 202
    Lovely to hear you will be a 'Moominmumma' soon! If you need a quick fix for your guests in August then pots of bedding (bargains to be had now) with lots of lavender too.

Your mum could move pots about and plant up lavender. After this 'busy season for you what about putting a cordon apple against that sunny border for next year. Babies love apple pur??e and it is so good for their digestion when weaned. Strawberries and blueberries just full of vitamin C for a a tot that will 'grow like a weed'! Fresh, unprocessed and no pesticides guaranteed when it's your own food. Good Luck Moominmumma xx
  • I've done it. Put row of lavender in and went armed to the garden centre with a list of your recommended  plants but unfortunately they didn't have any so I bought Some echinacea to go at the back and some cineraria maritima 'silver dust at the front  & left what was left of the irises in. It's not great but pleased it looks neat and smells nice x

'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,262

Great Moomin - that's going to look gorgeous when it all gets settled - and it'll be lovely in perfect time to welcome you and your little one home image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh