Forum home The potting shed

Free Lavenders / Free Perennials

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Cuttings are a good way of getting free plants, and I have been reading up and intend to get into all that next year or indeed for some things, later in the summer.  They do however, leave you with lots of the same plant, which may be great (am going to try striking box cuttings in September).  The free offers are a way of getting different things.  I could take cuttings of my massive lavenders in the garden, but I was interested in the idea of white and pink lavender, and the effects they could have.  So for me, this particular offer was a good one, and I am pleased with what I have got. 

I am now going to order the 48 butterfly-friendly perennials in this month's edition, because they are all varieties of plants I don't already have, and since I have been merrily felling nettles in the paddock, it seems only polite to give the butterflies something back (although they still have an acre of nettles out there, so won't miss the comparatively small area I have been clearing!!)  I think the kid in me just delights in getting something in the post!!  image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I'm ordering those too Busy Bee and agree on having lots of plants the same.  I am going to take cuttings from my Hydrangea and try it but that's because it is in the front and I want one or two for the back, the same with Fuschias.

I am also going to try and grow some babies to sell next year at car boots so I can put that money towards some plants on my wish list and / or a cold frame.

That's an interesting idea OL - we have the mother of car boot sales a couple of miles from here - it comes up on those telly programmes where people buy junk and sell it on all the time.  Mind you, you have to go pretty early in the morning on a Sunday to get a good pitch.....image

I would do that Bee, seen as I will have no plant money at all for a while as we are on a mega strict budget, this year I had load of chilli plants and I've given them away, I could probably have made about £20 just on chilli plants image

I seem to have a knack with chillies too - they are doing really well in the greenhouse and delicious too.  So maybe you have a business idea there..... and I won't flood your market either, being so far away. 

• I have just received my 48 perennials (Coreopsis, Geum and Campanila etc). They are indeed very small but all alive and healthy enough (apart from one cell that is empty). I potted them all on on Saturday. The process was quite easy too. The plugs come off easily, no roots cut in half... If they all survive, I will be very happy.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

How strange that everyone seems to have gotten 47. I got 48 but one is most definitely dead so another 47 here. Gosh the smell when you open the box for the first time is potent!

Mine are all potted up in plugs - labelled! I'm just hoping inquisitive visitors on Sunday don't mix them up. 

We're on a mega mega strict budget now for the garden. Alas I can barely give plants away to friends I'd never be any good at selling them!

Gosh they were late Flowerliver, I repotted my free perennials yesterday.  I lost a couple that hadn't been growing and when I took them out they had no roots, but that may be my fault.  I'd so I've had about 80% success rate with mine! but that's partly my fault.

Clari, I misread your earlier post and have just realised what you meant, yes they do label them so you know which variety is which, I thought you meant had I labelled them, sorry LOL imageimage

• Orchid Lady

were did you get your free plants from as I like anything free 

GW magazine Joyce, if you go on the tab at the top that says offers (next to forum on mine) and you'll see them.  Not totally free as you still pay for postage but it's only £5.95 for 48 plants.  You do need patience though because they are tiny image