Forum home Talkback

ID help please

This is on behalf of a friend.  All I have is the picture.  She doesn't know what it is but apparently it flowers twice a year.  Any ideas? 

As always any help at all is greatly appreciated image

Haha the picture would help oops

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, it looks like a peaony to me, but they dont flower twice? image
  • Well that's what I was thinking.  I thought maybe a tree peony but they only flower once too.  So I'm a bit stumped.  Was hoping Verdun or D

ove might have an idea.......image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

Might be the one called Molly the Witch but she won't flower twice.

Do you know when this photo was taken? Molly flowered weeks ago

• None taken Mike, my friend says twice a year.  I take that to mean on two separate occasions.

It won't daisy. I think that's what Mike is checking. Lots of perennials will come back for a second, late, flowering if you cut back after the first bash. A paeony won't

• Just been reading about Itoh/Intersectional hybrids on the peony society website.  An article there claims they will flower twice if you cut the first ones back.  Hmmm.    I would be surprised if it was an Itoh unless the previous owner was a very keen gardner.  I'm going to ask my friend a few more questions.

• Ah, mystery solved.  My friend consulted her husband, who clearly has a better memory (!!) and apparently it does die down in the winter and it only flowers once in the spring.  So it must be a peony.  The picture above is from last year.  So Nut, maybe it is Molly the Witch.  Thanks everyone for your help.  I hope, Edd, you meant to PM Mike and not hijack the thread.

• No problem image  And thanks again everyone, you are so kind.