Butterflies

Where are all the butterflies?I saw a couple of Red Admirals earlier in the year, but nothing since.Usually about this time of year Cabbage Whites are trying to lay eggs on my cabbages,but not one is to be seen.I live on the West coast of Scotland.Anyone else noticed a marked drop in butterflies, or is it just me.

P.S. My neighbour hasn`t seen any either.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,233

We had a lot of butterflies early on in the year. I assume they laid eggs and the caterpillars are growing. Some will pupate into butterflies later on this year,others will overwinter as a chrysalis.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

I saw this thread and thought I would post a photo of a butterfly I saw today.  I'm not well up on identification so looked it up and it looks very much like a black veined white which is common in Europe but not here - in fact the site said it was extinct in the 1920's but a few reintroductions were tried.  I'v been getting quite excited about it.  Someone is bound to burst my bubble nowimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,648

I've never seen one - I understood the reintroductions were thought to have failed - I suggest you get in touch with your local Wildlife Trust http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/ toot sweet!!!

I'm quite excited!!! image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

I saw a red Admiral today. didn't get a photo though. Also I had an emerald green moth resting on my canna leaves.

• David Matthews2David Matthews2 Posts: 454

Really very skinny on butterfly sightings here in coastal SW Wales - a few Whites 'skulking' around the pea foliage; prospecting for laying opportunities, no doubt?? Otherwise nice views of Speckled Wood Brown (on several days in full sunshine, woods nearby), also single Red Admiral AND THAT'S ALL, FOLKS!!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,407

I've seen very few butterflies recently, but there seemed to be plenty around April time.

My peacock caterpillars have all disappeared though so hopefully some will emerge successfully image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

I said someone would burst my bubbleimage  Just had a reply from UK Butterflies and it turns out it is a green veined white because the Scottish ones have particularly dark veins.  Ah well - it was a butterfly in the gardenimage

• Seen quite a few small tortoiseshell here in West Sussex!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,407

It's a butterfly nonetheless and also we've all learnt something Lesleyimage

Not a butterfly but next best thing. I'd not seen one of these before.

Another one for the "new bugs this year" list.