Forum home Fruit & veg

maximising greenhouse space.

So when I ordered my 6*10 greenhouse I thought it was huge turns out its really not lmao.

So how do you all have your greenhouses set up? atm I have one side with a 3ftx 6ft bed which I have discovered in veg terms isnt alot has 6 ballhead cabbages in and some things Im not sure of cause the wind got my plastic greenhouse and everything went everywhere!

the back is shelves and the other side is pots and shelves I also have hanging baskets!!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

I grow things that I can't easily buy where I live, like sweetcorn, and in between I grow small stuff like carrots that taste better very fresh. 

I grow tall things on the shady side because they can get more light because they are tall without shading smaller things.

Just now I have courgettes planted inside but I removed the louvred window and have trained them to grow outside where they can spread out.

I also grow things that I know won't survive contact with the birds, such as Tom Thumb mini pea plants.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

Is there a reason you are growing cabbages in your greenhouse? I keep my greenhouse for tender veg like tomatoes, cucumber and chilies. As well as for sowing and bringing on bedding plants, perennials etc. At this time of year I have very little on the staging in my greenhouse apart from chilies. The rest has been turfed out into pots or into the ground. Come the autumn it will fill up again with over wintering tender plants.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I feel your pain Jody, I got a new GH this year, 6x8' after having a slightly bigger but very unusable one previously, OH did ask if it would be big enough and I assured him it would, not realising how much I would be growing in it!!  Mine did have my courgettes in but I have moved them outside after being recommended to (That's a fab idea Pansyface by the way!) and now I just have tomatoes, cucumbers and aubergines in pots.  I have a narrow potting bench but there isn't really enough room to sow / pot anyone at the moment!

At the front where you can't see is the potting bench (you can just see the corner of it), a small set of drawers on the other side with all my bits and bobs in and then a plastic box with all my pots in is in front of the potting bench.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,110

Jody...........it's one of life bugbears I'm afraid..............whatever size Ghouse you buy it is never big enough........I've done from 10 to 60 feet.....always manage to fill itimageBit like buying a freezer......once you start putting stuff in, you think maybe you should have got the next size up........image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160

I do the same as hogweed, plus I grow aubergines and this year for the first time some Okra and tomatillo plants. Toms and cues are in the bed on one side and everything else is in pots either on the staging or round the sides.

There's quite alot of room on the staging at present as the plants haven't filled out yet. Veg/flower seedlings are in trays outside.

I do have shelving up until about April/May for seedling trays but take it out when the seedlings have grown and can be put outside.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    My large toms (marmande) will stay in my greenhouse all summer, and I've got peppers growing along one side on the shelves. I also use the space for bringing along all our veg for the allotment, it's only now really that we start to have some extra room, but I'll probably rectify that soon enoughimage

I'm sure if someone offered me a second greenhouse I'd fill it and bemoan the fact I didn't have a third, the same with my endless pots, I still just never have enough image
  • LOL most of my stuff is still seedlings as I started really late this year so just seeing how it goes next year is a whole new ball game image started growing the cabbages in because the kids and the dog kept running through them lol

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Gosh Jodi, it must be really neither ing you to still be io thinking about it at almost 2am image

Re the cabbages, you need to get your OH to build you a little fence round a veg patch like mine did, nothing big or fancy just a cute picket fence to stop my kids and dogs destroying my veg image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have a 6x8 lean to g/h, with an apricot fanned out on the wall (apricots are ripening as I typeimage). I built my own staging, 8' long down one side with a shelf underneath with big plastic boxes to keep flowerpots, saucers etc. An old shower tidy on the wall for odds and ends. At the moment there are San Marzano toms, peppers, aubergines, stawberries and cucumbers. I overwinter a lot of things in there and germinate a great deal in late winter and spring. I now have a heated propagator on kitchen windowsill, so some things start there then go to the g/h. I don't grow anything in the ground inside the g/h except the apricot.image