Willow or Bamboo screen?

I'm looking to screen the bottom of the garden fence so that it brings out more the plants I have planted there. Am I best getting a willow screen or a thick bambo screen? Which one lasts longer? Are they prone to bending if exposed to the sun for long periods? And finally anyone recommend a place (website or shop) that sells good quality ones?

Thank you.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, out of those options, ive only brought the reed screen, bit its been up for ages, despite my dodgy installation! Primrose (garden website) are very good, but i also saw some in my local poundstretcher image
  • Dordogne DamselDordogne Damsel Posts: 2,112

We have bamboo and it certainly serves it purpose, however, it spreads like mad if unchecked and is difficult to keep on control.  

The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

— Gertrude Jekyll
  • greenlovegreenlove Posts: 100

Verdun, a living willow screen is certainly something that I have been interested in for years. However I have never ventured into it because I have never been sure where to start. Plus the height of the fence I am trying to cover/replace is only about 1.2 metres. I cant go any higher than that because it would block off the sun completely.

• Dordogne DamselDordogne Damsel Posts: 2,112

We have willow, seems to be far better than the bamboo in terms of control. Much nicer plant. 

The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

— Gertrude Jekyll
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,848
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,237

So did I!!!

I bought a willow screen on a roll but it disintrigated after 2 years, and another roll went the same way before we ever put it up. It was to go around the oil tank. Maybe because it was Amazon, it was too cheap.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • greenlovegreenlove Posts: 100

Dove you are correct. That is the type of screen that I am after.

Lyn from my research so far I have noticed that the smaller the height the thinner the willow canes get. Maybe that has an effect?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I use split bamboo in a couple of places; the bamboo lasts, the little wires connecting it rust and break after about 5/6 years.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Wish i could post a pic, but i only have my phone image

My reed screen has been up for a few years now, seems ok, its tied on to the hawthorn hedge that runs the length of the garden.

I did try some bark like stuff, it was in strips, on a roll, but that hasnt done so well, it also blows down really easily image