Currant bushes

No fruit or flowers on red currant?! What dida do wrong?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,632

We won't know unless you give us some clues image

When planted and where?

How pruned?

How fed and watered?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

How old is the plant?

How long as it been in its current location? (Can you remember when you planted it there?)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,217

Red currants flower in the spring on growth that they made last summer. Did you prune them hard last autumn and cut it all off?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FoolioFoolio Posts: 85
    Planted new canes last year and left alone as advised, there is plenty of new vertical growth this year on top of last years canes but I did wish for just a few currants on the older canes :0( Even One would of been nice!! What to do for next years crop?
  • BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226

Red currant is a bush canes are usually raspberries?

Def a red currant - so spose I should of said stem or branch then, my apologies.

Well, that's clear anyway image

Maybe it's just been getting it's roots down image   We did have some frosts around flowering time - I had to fleece my gooseberries - maybe yours got caught? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes maybe- should I leave now until next year?

I've not grown red currants, but my instinct says a bit of  Fish Blood and Bone if you've not given it any, and a mulch of good garden compost or well-rotted farmyard manure in the autumn and keep an eye out for frosts at flowering time next spring.

Maybe someone else will have something else to suggest ?

• KirstyB2KirstyB2 Posts: 41

I'm in the same situation. Mine was planted new last year. I've been hoping its just getting established.