Forum home Fruit & veg

Maximum yield of spuds

Hi, im pretty sure i know the answer to this, but im hoping i may be wrong! Our household gets through a sack of spuds (25kg) each month, this costs ??6. Ive never attempted spud growing on this scale, is it possible to do this as an amature, would it be cost effective? Thanks image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,833

I think that storage of main crop potatoes through the winter will be a major difficulty, unless you have a dark and  cool but frostfree shed available.

That's a lot of potatoes.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    The OH is a 23st bodybuilder, he takes ALOT of feeding, spuds are a cheap solution, which even I can cook! Ive got access to a garage? image
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,283

I think that the only thing to grow which is cost effective, is veg thats very expensive in the shops.

I find runner beans the best, at 8 beans for a qiud, they have to be the best, also asparagus. The othef stuff is so cheap in the shops, 40p for a cucumber, or a lettuce,  courgetes are cheap too.

The amateur gardener does it for a bit of fun and the thrill of goibg to the garden to pick it.

When you weigh up the cost of liming, manuring, buying seeds, its not that cost effective, espially when you lose it to pests and have to pay for control.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I always enjoyed growing spuds, the only reason i stopped was that i couldnt produce enough, so it seemed futile. I did only grow sharpo varieties as blight is almost certain where i live image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,833

There's some info on storing maincrop potatoes here  http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/potatoes/potatoes-harvest-store.php 

By my rough calculations you will need to grow approx 6 metres long of potato rows for every  25kg of potatoes.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I would leave it to the professionals.  There are quite a lot of crops I don't think it is worth the effort and space they take up.  

Maincrop potatoes, swedes, maincrop carrots, large quantities of onions and other staples.

I agree with Lyn, stick with the vegetables that are special, such as new potatoes, new carrots, runner and French beans and your own tomatoes.

Thats less space than i thought Dove, but i think you guys are right, as lovely as it would be to produce all our spuds, it probably isnt worth it image

Thanks for all the help guys image
    It would probably be an allotment, there are lots by me and the crazy demand isnt so bad now, i just think that the seed potatoes will cost more than i spend on potatoes to eat image
  • snowathletesnowathlete Posts: 138

I agree that not all crops are cost effective, and that's well worth taking into account, but some crops are very cost beneficial to grow at home.

Although Courguetes are cheapish in the shop, as pointed out by someone above, they aren't really when you consider how easy they are to grow and how many fruit you get even off one plant. They're a rip off in the shops. You can bet on 50+ fruit from one plant most years and grown from seed that's a couple of quid cost. The same from a reasonable supermarket would cost you £15.

Getting hold of decent potatoes from the shops seems to have become harder in recent years I've found, which is one reason I'm growing some. Mind you, It seems I might have early blight so my potatoes may not end up decent either! That's a major issue if your hoping to grow large quantities of something like potatoes which are suceptible to diseases, because in a bad year you could end up losing out by a long way. I'd be pretty upset if I lost rows and rows of them in one go.

Another consideration is that it is worth growing stuff that you sometimes can't find in the shop. I often can't find Pak Choi so that's my reason for growing it myself this year and the packet of seeds cost the same as one packet of the fully grown veg in Sainsbury's.

Strawberries are another crop that are worth growing at home because they are expensive in the shop really and with some effort you can produce lots of plants at home for very little cost.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054

I have just harvested 30lbs of early spuds from 2kg of seed potatoes if they were maincrop I would have expected to harvest a bigger weight, my allotment association charge £1 per kilo of seed potatoes and today I worked out the price of the 30lb of new spuds from morrisons would have been somewhere around £20. As has been said the biggest drawback in growing potatoes to be self sufficient is storage space, blight, and room to grow the crop remembering that you need room to rotate the crop not using the same ground for at least three years at a time, I grow about ten rows of potatoes and find that with rotation that takes up a full ten pole allotment plot allowing for room for the shed and greenhouse and a few fruit bushes. I guess that if I wanted to I could get another five or so rows of spuds in by doing away with the shed e.t.c.