Forum home Fruit & veg

Is this the start of potato blight or just something of nothing?

13»

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054

We're promised rain soon so see how that affects the leaves, I had brown marks like that last year and they came to nothing so maybe it isn't blight after all, my other potatoes seem to be free of any marks at the moment so I will see what happens with them I only dug the early spuds as they were ready and removing the two rows has opened the area up to allow air to circulate around the rest of the crop so it seems like a win win situation. I understand that if blight does take hold then the tubers can be saved by cutting the haulms down and taking them to the council tip or burning them, the tubers then should be left in the ground for a week before digging them up on a dry day and using them as soon as is possible as they won't keep.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,496

I wouldn't be too worried about those marks - when my potatoes  had blight in the past, one day there were a few blotches on the leaves, the next day the foliage had all but collapsed - it happened very quickly.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• snowathletesnowathlete Posts: 138

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to hear other people's experiences. I think the big test will be when it rains, because if it is blight then it is not ideal conditions for it to spread at the moment. Add a mix of rain and sunshine and if it's blight then i'd expect it to spread quite rapidly, though early blight is slower to spread than late blight from what I read, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

I grew potatoes many years ago for one year, but I forget what happened. I think they got scab but not blight that time, but not 100% sure, it was a long time ago. Isn't it great we can all communicate on here for people's recent experiences!

• LilAmbarLilAmbar Posts: 43

Well I have some similar marks on my potatoes and as I type, the rain has just started.  I'll be watching very carefully tomorrow.  I'm not predicting a good outcome as I know there has been confirmed blight in a crop not too far away image

Had a HUGE amount of rain today. There was so much on the road that at one point it was up to the tops of my tyres and I drive a tall 4x4. Good news is that the water butt now has a fair amount of water in it, the bad news is that my potatoes keep getting new brown spotted leaves. Each of the last few days I've had to remove several of each plant. The overall health of the plants is still good though. So long as it doesn't infect the tubers they ought to get enough growing time.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,496
    If the spots are just brown spots like freckles, rather than grey and blotchy and puckered and wrinkled, I wouldn't worry about them - I'd leave them on the plants.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

They are puckered, sort of depressed into the leaves and have a pale green/yellow outline. This matches the description and photos of early blight from one of the major gardening sites I looked it up on (can't remember which tho).

I'm still cutting off those I see each day and the plant is coping fine at that rate so right now it's ok, but we'll see.