Is this the start of potato blight or just something of nothing?

Potatoes have been flourishing. Planted about two months ago in new soil in containers. Today, noticed this on a few leaves. I'm hopinv just some moisture on the leaves caused some burns or some insect did this instead of it being blight, but I hear it's around early this year.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Its possible, sorry. I would take the leaf off and dispose anyway image
  • snowathletesnowathlete Posts: 138

Thanks, I'll do that. I really hope it isn't, it was all going so well!

Its gutting isnt it, i dont grow spuds anymore but when i did, i had to grow the resistant ones to have any chance of a crop, good luck image
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,409

blight usually spreads during wet weather, hopefully with it being fairly dry if it is blight it might not have spread too far!

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Certainly remove the leaf. I've Googled "potato blight on leaves images" and I'm not sure if that's what you have, but have learned that it attacks older lower leaves first. Looks a bit to me like the leaf has been scorched, but don't take my word for it.

I've removed about ten leaves off each container. One has two plants in the other three.

I think it probably is blight but I've spotted it very early. I can onlt hope that it won't take hold but it probably will. wevd had no rain at all for at least four weeks. Lots of sun. I've been watering daily for at least a week as being in containers they need it and wilt if I don't. I guess it's a good sign that the potatoes themselves are swelling but I'd be much happier if I was a month further along. Any cheap, DIY sprays I can make to help resist it, even if only a little?

i plan to make some green tea and nettle spray for my courgetes for the common mildew on leaves that I always get.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

If you've had no rain, it shouldn't be blight as that needs high humidity, just try not to get the leaves wet when watering

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 677

My potatoes have severe (and very early!) blight. Although it's been dry for a couple of weeks, we had frequent rain and mild temperatures for some weeks before this, and there's no stopping the blight now. My plants never even got as far as flowering.

Happily, the spuds themselves are not affected (I always grow Charlotte for this characteristic) but the yields will not be as good as it should.

Snow, you can get bordoux mixture for blight, i didnt find it that effective, others swear by it, its the only thing available i believe image

Thanks Becki, any idea where I can get some cheap?