Forum home Plants

Geranium - but what type?

StipaStipa Posts: 7

Hello fellow gardeners. I'm creating a map of the plants in my son's primary school's wildlife garden but cannot figure out what kind of geranium this is.  I've ruled out macrorrhizum and himalaynese - the leaf shape is quite distinctive but my plant encyclopedia and google search has so far turned up nothing.

Are there any geranium enthusiasts who could help me find out the variety?

Thank you so much for your help.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

There are so many hybrids and cultivars it's a hard job to name them all.

That could be a cultivar of G. endressii but I'm not putting money on itimage

• StipaStipa Posts: 7

Thank you nutcutlet!  having a "second name" for the plant is close enough for plant identification purposes for the school i think..I appreciate your feedback!  Thanks so much for your help.

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

Looks like Claridge Druce to me but as Nutcutlet says here are so many  different variations it is hard to be sure.

• I also think it looks like G. Claridge Druce.

• The good thing about that one though is that it can be cut back after flowering to give a second flush of growth and flower. It can get a bit untidy otherwise.  HC

• StipaStipa Posts: 7

thanks everyone...the tip about cutting back is a great idea - it is looking pretty wild and wacky and extra flowering would be worth it.

Thanks too for the variety tips - I've looked up Claridge Druce and it looks like this could be the one...with two options that is closer than I got after researching and I'll add the details to the plant list and guide for the school.

You are all very kind and I really appreciate your expertise.