Germination problems

Sowed carrots for third time but still no germination. Decided to sow a couple of bean seeds in same plot as a trial to see if anything was getting at seed. After 7 days decided to have a look and found seeds had begun to sprout but shoots were distorted and being attacked by a very tiny black beetle approx 1mm long. There is also present a small white caterpillar approx 3mm long with a black head. Can anyone enlighten me as to a way forward, ie nematodes? or a disinfectant of some kind? Any advice will be most welcome.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, it seems to have been a bumper year for pests! The beans sound like they were eaten by bean maggot, i lost tons to these this year, there is no remedy but to get the beans through germination asap. Was the carrot seed fresh? It may have been a bad batch, is it possible your soil was too wet? I would be tempted to try again now the weather has perked up image
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I have found this year that some seed has been very slow to germinate.  As Bekkie says, try again and you never know.  I sowed some turnips seeds on Wednesday and they germinated yesterday -  3 days - super fast.  Good luck.

• Old timer2Old timer2 Posts: 65

Many thanks for all theories and suggestions, will try again by re sowing.