Name of plant

Sal HallSal Hall Posts: 32

Hi I wondered if anyone can help me with the name of my mums plant? I'll describe it as best I can. Its a three to four foot tall herbaceous plant with tiny white flowers that join to appear as a one inch ball looking flower at the top of bare stems, like sweet peas do. It has pinnate soft green leaves all the way down, it doesn't spread or self seed.  It is about 4 years old this year and seems to be hardy. It is all green and flowers from May until about October.  I realise this is almost impossible to picture but if anyone has any ideas of names I can look at that would be helpful, thank you in advanceimage

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,878

You could put a photo on, easier to tell then, just click on the tree icon. Although this wont work on phones.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,986

A photo would really be helpful.

That's a very long flowering season and I think May is too early for these to be flowering but It's all I can come up with without seeing it

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/122388/Globe-thistle-Arctic-Glow/Details

• Sal HallSal Hall Posts: 32

Thank you I've looked at the picture but that isn't the plant.  Sadly I don't have a picture but will try to remember to take the camera next weekend and take one, it is a long flowering season, and I would say they don't flower til June properly but Mum has said they start in May and last til temperatures drop off so it is a long time.

hi heres some pictures to help with the naming of this plant please?

I think it is a legume though.

I wondered about Galega officinalis 'Alba' but I'm slightly put off that as you say it doesn't seed. Mine seeds lotsimage

Hi thank you to everyone who's answered this question, I can confirm it is a Galega officinalis.  I have visited the nursery called Special Plants this afternoon and they sell unusual plants in Cold Ashton in Bristol, always nice to look at something different from the normimage and they have confirmed what it is and that its probably been difficult to find as its more commonly found in purple which makes photos in books difficult to pin down!  anyway thanks again to everyone, I have a couple of other plants that i'm also unsure of so will post pictures of those at some point as it'll save me driving around. I didn't think this plant seeded as Mum hasn't mentioned it, possibly because they'd fall onto her lawn and so they don't takeimage

That could be it Sal, they wouldn't become lawn weeds, though they are quite competitive in their wayimage