How do you take cuttings from plants?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I would love to learn how to take cuttings, but are cuttings reserved only for those with greenhouses?   

My 3 yr old french Lavender is looking very leggy and woody, and I would like to take some cuttings before composting it. Also I have a couple of tender fuschias that survived the mild winter, and so would like to take some cuttings from them too.

Is this possible without a greenhouse? And if is it. What do I need to do? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,110

Yes, it's perfectly possible to take cuttings of most hardy plants without a greenhouse although a cold frame is useful.  

Starting off with lavender is a good idea - lots of info here  http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-take-lavender-cuttings/176.html 

Tell us what else you have in your garden and we can make some more suggestions about cuttings that are relatively easy - you'll soon have more plants than you know what to do with image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Oooh brilliant! Thanks Dove. I have one of these, can that double up as a cold frame. Or would a proper cold frame be better?  

Cuttings need to be in the shade at this time of year rather than needing heat and bright sunlight.

I keep mine on a low wall against a north facing fence - then a cold frame in the winter to keep the worst of the wet and cold off them - but you can easily make one with some old bricks or blocks and an old window or two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardenersworld/video/alys_thrifty/cold_frame.shtml 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks again Dove, you star. image  

Phew! Glad I don't need to worry about a cold frame just yet. I'll put the cutting under a tree. Off to have a go with the lavender now, and then I will be back with a list of other plants. . image  

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

Might be a good idea to take lots of cuttings rather than just one.  They (usually, in my experience) don't all survive and this would ensure that you have as many as you need.  If you have spares you can always give them away.

Absolutely agree there Steve - I usually take dozens - if half survive I'm more than happy image

Quite.  I can't even do geraniums (i.e. Pelargonium) reliably!

If only something in gardening was reliable Steve image

Thanks Steve! I'm struggling a little following the instructions, particularly taking a non flowering cutting from the  'main stem'. As everything on the main stems are big woody branches or has flowers on it. image   

Hmmm.... dunno.  Never tried lavender, French or otherwise.  But someone will know if you wait a bit....

Aquadulce broad beans have never let me down, except through my own neglect.  And, we can always rely on something happening we didn't plan for!