Hedgehog hazards

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,785

Just had a minor hedgehog emergency, a little girl relative of a neighbour just found one caught in some netting around their peas...

My next door neighbours went around to cut it free and handed it over to me:

It wouldn't let me look at the soft part of its neck but I couldn't see any obvious damage. I put it outside in the undergrowth (just in case it isn't the one that lives in my log pile) with a bowl of water and it had gone within 20 mins. Hope I did the right thing.

So glad it was discovered - I think they are going to raise the netting which I think might defeat the object of it.

Do other gardeners use small gauge netting? I don't net anything so don't know what sort should be used...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,710

I think raising the netting will still protect against the worst depredations of pigeons and will certainly help avoid future entanglements. 

I don't net anything at the moment as I worry about just such a thing happening with hedgehogs and birds.

I'm going to have to net the pond in autumn - I think the trick is to have the net as taut as possible and obviously to check morning and evening and as often as possible in between. 

The smaller gauge net the better! 

I think you did exactly the right thing image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

We are using builders' Debris netting this year.  Much easier to handle as it doesn't get caught on everything.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

Just to add about hedgehogs getting caught in things, and I am sure that everyone on here is well aware, but the worst tragedies with hedgehogs is the plastic rings that hold a 4 pack of beer together, make sure you cut every little bit before putting it in the bin. They get caught as babies and as they grow it tightens around their body.

I am sure you all know this thoughimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,785

Thanks guysimage

I'll keep an eye on this netting business from a respectful distance... 

I was wondering if it was in search of grubs with the ground being so dry around here. It hasn't rained for a few weeks and my garden is baked like clay as I don't really water anything. I assume the veg patch had been watered and maybe that would make it easier to get slugs & worms and the like?

Just a theory. I put out some extra food incase it's a supplementary hog to boot.

Very possible Victoria - perhaps the garden owners would like to leave a shallow dish of water out each night?

You might like to introduce them to http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/help-hedgehogs.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,785

I'd like to Dove, but to be honest I don't want to cause a burden. The home owner is an elderly woman whose son/carer has not long died but like a lot of people in that situation wants to carry on as normal with a massive veg patch that neighbours and relatives are tending.

I'll just try to keep an eye on the hedgepig activity and perhaps create a few more hidey holes and maybe empty a water butt on the garden. My neighbours who are next to that garden will keep an eye on the netting.

Absolutely understand Victoria image