Forum home Plants

Seed Head ID

LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Can anyone help with this?  It caught my eye from the window and I thought it was one of the biggest dandielions I had ever seen - but It is much bigger and the seeds don't puff away as easily.  It is bigger than a dandielion but smaller than a tennis ball.  I cut it and brought it into the house yesterday (becasue I was intrigued) and it is still intact.  

This is the stem:

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Hawksbit has seed heads similar to dandelions, but a wirier stem and much taller.

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Thanks Fidgetbones, there's not a lot on google for hawksbit but from what I could see the leaves coming from the stem are different.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,129

My lawn is full of it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,988

Scorzonera have seed heads like that too!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Try Tragopogon pratensis, which we used to call 'Jack go to bed at noon', it only flowers in the morning.

What I can see of the stems brings that to mind. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Shes good is our Nut.

I think you've got it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

It reminds me that I should have some in the garden. It's a plant of childhood.

But I have more recently grown T. porrifolius which looks much the same til it flowers purple, common salsify

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Wow! Tragopogon pratensis it is !!  Nut what can I say - thank you imageThe others are incredibly similar but the stem and leaves clinch it. Thank you so much everyone.