Gravel or pebble path

Good morning everyone.

We intend to run a path down the garden with slabs surrounded by pebbles/gravel. My worry is that the pebbles will go green in the winter.  The slabs are silver grey and my preference is for pale coloured pebbles, does anyone have any suggestions. Also would it be best to concrete under the path or to use membrane. We have clay soil but the side we intend to pave is very sunny and doesnt suffer to much with moss. Thank you in anticipation.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd use membrane under the path over a good hardcore foundation and use gravel. Pebbles attractive, but golden gravel 10mm looks a lot better.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,022

I suggest particularly avoiding limestone gravel which is porous as it is this water retaining property which allows green algae to grow on it, although that is mainly a problem where it lies on bare soil.  As`Dave suggests, I would use membrane but under both path and gravel border.   Doing that makes weeds easier to pull, too (weed seeds seem to love germinating in gravel, pebbles etc.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Yes I realise it's porous we are trying to aviod, the problem seems to be pale stone which I realy do want, is porous. Are there any which are light coloured and non porous, or am I asking to much? My boyfriend has suggested I get the colour I want and varnish it, not really the answer is it. image

Pebbles aren't porous, if you can find a supplier of light-coloured ones.

Or if cost isn't an issue, look for "resin bonded" paths.  You can have paths of any colour stone you like with that system, but it is delivered and laid by a supplier - no DIY option here.

• Unfortunately Bob cost is an issue. I will see if I can find some light coloured pepples.

Thankyou for your help. I will post a photo when it's done, probably won't be this year. image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes Chrissie, gravel could be the answer, I will have a look around and see what is on offer.