Forum home Talkback

what is wrong with my plum tree?

my plum tree had lots of blossom this year, and it looked healthy, and  after the blossom faded it looked as if it would be covered in bunches of plums. then the leaves started to crinkle up,some of the developing plums became deformed, grew very quickly into what looked like pods and rotted away. now most of the plums which are left are nearly all getting lumpy bits on them, and don't look right. such a shame because over the past few years the plums have been healthy and taste delicious. does anyone know what is wrong, and what i can do to help  get the tree back to normal. i don't know  much about fruit trees, so any advice would be gratefully received

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, it sound like a pest to me, i dont know that much about plum pests, im sure someone else on here will, sorry image
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Sounds like 'pocket plum', starlily. Have a look at the link below and see if it's that.

http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=199

• thank you both for the replies.

dave, you are spot on.  i have looked at  the link, and the photo looks exactly like the things on my tree. i have been removing the damaged pods and foliage as much as i possible, and will now be trying my best to get rid of everything which looks infected. hopefully i will be able to save the tree.

this forum is so helpful !!!