Forum home Talkback

i'm new here...

Hello everybody. I. Love this site. I've been a lurker for quite a while but I'm now going to post and introduce myself.....I've learnt so much from you all! I'm a garden lover...I live in the west of Ireland. I have a 2 acre garden.it was a big field before we bought it and built our home, so essentially it was/is a blank canvas. Getting bits done the last few years. Time is precious though, I have 4 boys 4 months up to 6 years, and I work full time, but any spare minute I get, I'm in the garden! I love all plants/shrubs/trees. The garden has clay soil. We've added in a lot of bought top soil. Looking forward to chatting to you all!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562

Hi irishgardener, welcome to the forumimage

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Irishgardener, welcome! Your garden sounds beautiful, i hope we will see some pics soon image
  • Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Hello matey - welcome image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 16,775

Hi irishgardener, welcome to the mad house image a very friendly helpful bunch.

phew how do you have any spare time.....working full time with a lovely family of 4 boysimage

Garden sounds greatimage

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Hi Irishgardener image Jump right in image Your garden sounds huge and lovely. Check out the garden gallery (?) thread and show it off image

• Marg48Marg48 Posts: 24

Hi irishgardener, new to this site myself, they all seem like a lovely bunch of people, best years of your life when kids are little, they grow up too fast. Enjoy the garden whilst they are small, mine couldn't play in their friends garden because their mothers didn't want their borders messed so all the kids from around played in our's. Now 40 years on, I have my beautiful garden alas no little one's to wander through it. If I had time again I would loved to have built a small tree house, swings, see-saw,bird houses,chickens,lots of things they will remember when they grow up, good luck and enjoy what you have.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hello Irishg, if I had 2 acres to garden I'd have to wait until the boys were old enough to help image 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,385

Hi Irishgardener. Welcome.

Devon.
  • AWBAWB Posts: 421

Good wishes.

with such a big garden plant some trees now, that is this autumn. Time passes so quickly a few bare root silver birches, Rowans and acers will in 5 years contribute greatly to the gardens structure. Get the boys to help, give each of them their own tree, they will remember.

ps in case they don't take a photo of them with you and Their tree.

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Hi Irish gardener.welcome!  Very envious of your acres!  What an opportunity.  You can leave some as it as field now- your boys'd love it, and take it slowly with the rest.  One day it'll all be fully garden and they can get married in it!!!  Good luck with getting anything done - I just have one mini me and he keeps me busy enough. its lovely getting them interested.  My sons first word was "bird" pointing out the window into the garden.  He's two and knows roses and daisies, and did know daffodils and tulips but suspect he'll forget by the time he sees those again!  He very excitedly told me that he knew the bits called petals, and asked what the buds where.  Last week he asked me if plants have mouths and if not, how can they drink.  He's quick to tell any friends (and daddy) to stay off the flower beds. It's lovely getting children involved.  They may stop the amount of actual gardening you can do, but I've learnt to accept that and the joy of they starting to get interested and learn is amazing. Make room for them - swings, slides etc.  I got a path built that went all the way round the garden (it's a bit smaller than yours!) and he loves riding round.  The happier he is out there, the happier I am! Anyway, I'll stop rambling!   Welcomeimage