Cows in garden

I have a small garden that backs onto a farmers field.  The cows eat all the ivy that is growing on the wall bull every few months they push the wall down and start eating everthing including Pyrocantha and burberis although they do leave the fox gloves alone.  Can anyone suggest something I can plant that gives a bit of colour but that the cows might leave?  They do love all the herbs, nettles.blackberry, brambles even honeysuckle.  The garden is north facing and only get sun from may to end of sepember, I'm also in the peak district park over 1000ft. Help please?  ps am considering moving but the views are beautiful.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,762

I think you need to have a word with the farmer Ian if they're pushing the wall down. I assume the wall is the field boundary, in which case it's his responsibility to maintain it. Alternatively - could you put another boundary just to the inside of the wall - even if it's just posts and barbed wire?

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,095

Don't move. Some of the drystone wall fences I've seen on the farm where we holiday in Wales have posts stuck in the top with barbed wire strung between them. Definitely speak to the farmer as not only are your plants suffering, but luckily you haven't been the other side when the wall comes down.

• Well we've had badgers, moles, mice, rats. I think cows are a first! I agree with Fairygirl, if the wall is the farmer's he needs to take responsibility and make it secure. Don't move from some of the world's best views Ian!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Farmers are legally responsible for their boundary fences and any subsequent damage injury or loss suffered as a result of failing to maintain their boundaries and any subsequent damage injury or loss caused as a result of their livestock wandering and being the cause of damage injury and loss.

Legalese but they are all insured most by the NFU, so ask the farmer for the details of his insurance company and tell him your'e going to make a claim against him.

Bet he fixes the wall and puts a fence up.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    What will the cow be following, its nose or eyes? Would screening the garden help? image
  • pootlerpootler Posts: 88

Electric fencing would keep them away from the wall it could be put just below the wall on the cow's side so you don't have to see it.  

• I'd go with Dave's suggestion of asking him for his insurance details. Better to shock the farmer than the cows

A word of caution - some farmers can make your life very unpleasant if you get shirty with them.  Always better to ask nicely and just explain the issue politely. The last thing you need is a load of 'something' dumped on your driveway  or over your fence onto your plants. Believe me - it does happen. image

• chrissieBchrissieB Posts: 772
    We don't really have much problem with cows here in Brum : )

But seriously must be very frustrating. I would try having a chat with the farmer and if not ring the NFU for advice, you could probably discuss the problem with them in general terms first to get some idea of what options you have.

Re electric fence - don't put anything on the 'field' side of the wall. That will bring all sorts of problems too. If you try that, put it on your side. Cows aren't the brightest of creatures, so a decent barrier keeps them out. Plant hawthorn if you don't want to put a fence or other type of physical barrier up,  and you don't get anywhere with the farmer. They really don't like being told what to do - even when you have every right to request the maintenance. You wouldn't believe what some of them will do. I've seen it loads of times.