Forum home Talkback

Trough Liners

Honey3Honey3 Posts: 2

Is there anything else you can use as a liner, other than the coconut ones, for my hanging trough.  They just don't seem to be lasting.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Morning, will it be visable? A compost bag, black side out usually does the trick, just puncture it where you need. You can put moss in the visible bits if you want to image
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I line them with an old compost bag inside, but my main problem is the magpies pulling it to pieces to make their nests!

Thats gonna be a tough one to remedy, dunno much that would stand up to a magpie and not much they wont consider for nest building. What are you growing? Might have to be a camoflage job for this year image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,086

Alan Titchmarsh once did an experiment and found that old woollen jumpers make very good hanging basket liners.   At Keukenhof (Dutch bulb garden) I've seen hanging baskets lined with plastic but with a piece of colourful fabric between it and the basket to pretty it up.

I use the coconut fibre thingies with a square of old compost bag on the inside to retain moisture.    I did once find some sort of compressed cardboard liners and they lasted several seasons.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I wonder if those sea grass things you lie on at the beach would work? image
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,611

I use the compost bag inside out. Make the holes for drainage about 2inches up, not right in the bottom, it will then hold some water instead of draining right out.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.