Forum home Plants

Phlomis

bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
I get mixed up between monarda and phlomis, mine is yellow flowered with silvery foliage, stunning plant. Can i hack it back? Until now ive been frightened of damaging it, but it got far too big. Suggestions please image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

http://rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1428

Is it this or one of the shrubs rebecca?

Those seed heads look splendid in winter with a frost on them but they can be cut back

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi nut, yes the flowers are pretty much the same, but the leaves are silvery and downey, they are similar in feel to lambs ears image

Its got to be about 2ft in diamiter, i need it to be half of that really. I dont know how to do pics or would post image

You can cut it back but also I'd dig it up in autumn, split it up and replant a few of the best bits. This is a big plant in a few years, not tall but spreading

Thanks for this, hadnt thought of splitting it, wasnt sure it would grow at first, oh how wrong i was! image

My is having a very good year. I think it's doubled in sizeimage

Might try some cuttings image
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,473

If it is the herbaceous perennial type that dies down in winter, it is easily split in spring. It will have big seeds that grow easily as well.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

is it the perennial type , like the one nutcutlet sent the link to or the shrubby phlomis fruticosa?( I don't know how to post links, sorry, but you could google it) The shrub form can be cut back, but wear a nose mask as it's covered in tiny hairs which get down your throat and cause days of trouble. I speak from bitter experience.

Devon.
    Thanks for that hostafan, would have waded straight in there!

Thanks for all of the advice guys, think that whole bed may need re-jigging! image