Forum home Problem solving

Dealing with Fuschia Rust

Hello,

One if my potted fuschias has fuschia rust and I have read the best way to prevent it is to remove all affected leaves and to spray with a fungicide. I have been removing the leaves but the problem still persists and if I carry on doing this the plant will just resemble a bare twig! Lol

So I was wondering if any of you use a spray and if so what? I don't want to use anything that will harm wildlife ideally.

Or if you have any other tips on preventing this?

Thanks in advance.

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 262

they damage growth and vigour, pick off affected leaves as soon as they are noticed & bin, dont compost and feed the plants to boost vigour http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=163

• I've been doing that but the problem is still spreading and is on virtually every leaf.

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 262

I have it only slightly tho, I read on rhs that even spraying can kill fuchsias!  If we bump to top, someone more in the know May have an answer image

• We shall see image Mind you new leaves do grow quickly so it won't be bare for long, although the rust does keep coming back.

• wendyg2wendyg2 Posts: 1

My fuschias are log standing bushes in the garden, they are some years old and some new ones that have been bought this year.  The most prolific one suddenly lost all its leaves on one side when I looked closer they seemed to have black spot and then just withered and dropped off, looking round the garden it seems that the others are the same, have taken the affected leaves off and sprayed with plant rescue for ornamental plants, to no avail, looks like they are all on their way out now and have seen this in other gardens in my area,  so you think feeding might help more?

• I have fed mine but it doesn't seem to have made much difference, I am still picking off newly affected leaves each morning :/

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 406

I think you are fighting a losing battle, I would strip it of all the leaves and cut it back by about a third. This will encourage new growth but it will be to late for it to flower this year, put it in a shady spot and when you see new growth start to give it a weak feed .

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,444

I use the fungus spray I use for roses. Sometimes they need a follow up dose.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.