Forum home The potting shed

poppys

I have grown quite a lot of 'purple' poppies this year, they are really beautiful plants, unfortunately they don't last long image I now have very large seed pods on the stems, can I take them off to store for next year? and if I can when? Otherwise if I wait for them to burst they will seed where I don't want them to? Any answers?

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    They will start to dry, keep an eye on them, the holes in the top dont open til they are ready, pick when you notice the holes image
  • do I store them till next year?

Its your choice, they usually store well, but most are tough enough to see the winter through. Maybe do a bit of both? I know this a bit of a stupid thing to say bit dont store them in the seed heads, when i tried this they went a bit mouldy as they must have been a bit wet inside image
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I was going to post exactly the same question.  I had Papaver Harlem and wanted to harvest the seeds.  Thanks Barbara and Rebecca image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

You can put a paper bag (not a plastic one) over the seed pod and fix it with a rubber band.  The seed will fall into it when it is fully ripe.

Dont know why but opium poppies dont seem to like my garden, used to be a weed on the allotment! Got tons of red field poppy, any ideas? image
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Ooh thanks for that tip Welsh onion image

• Yes thanks welsh onion.  Very handy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I have memories of my grandmother collecting the poppies and hanging them upside down in the conservatory (don't know whether the heat helped or just provided her with a suitable spot out the way of small hands) with their heads in a paper bag to collect the seeds (just remember to label them!). I did this last year and ended up with an envelope full which I hope to use next year - once the seeds had fallen out of the heads I then left them on a tray in the windowsill for a few days just to ensure they were dry. This might not be necessary.