Forum home Plants

Transplanting a Leycesteria (Himalayan Honeysuckle)

Anyone have any idea if it is possible to transplant a Leycesteria (Himalayan Honeysuckle). We have several dotted around, but there is a small one about 2 foot tall that is in the wrong place so we would like to move it. Has anyone tried this? Would I need to cut it back first? And what time of year is best? (I'm guessing Autumn, but this is a guess!)

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Is that also partridge berry? image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Pheasant berry where I come from

Or Himalayan honeysuckle. 

After the rainy season starts in autumn would be fine. 

I've just dug one up and potted it because it had seeded in the wrong place. I wouldn't put it in the garden now. Though I might if my soil was better.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I pinched a cutting from the park, thought it was really tough? Well, until the dog dug it up! image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Excellent, thank you all. They seem to be so sturdy and grow anywhere! And yes a pheasant berry not a partridge! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

The one I potted is not looking too cheerful, a bit droopy. I cut it back when I did it to try and avoid that. We shall see

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,043

I have them in my garden love them. One is quite large now, the other two are about 18ins high now, one was a cutting the other I found growing in a pot.....

I know it as flowering nutmeg.....love the flowers, the large one is covered in flowers.

• NebNeb Posts: 1

Himalayan  honeysuckle  is so easy to take cuttings for new plants 

Winter snow broke mine in half,  now I have a dozen starts and even a 5 inch start will bloom and have berries ,(in a green house)