Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Garden pests

2»

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Come on guys and gals stick with it if had bad sessions on the allotment iv just had two rows of chicory bolt after two years yes two years of pampering and pandering the little rascals our chard has now bolted and what's left has been attacked by insects but will I give in no way ! I shall perceiver to endeavour! Did England give in when Australia went in front at the 2003 rugby world cup? No they battled on ! No retreat no surrender 

• Hester ScottHester Scott Posts: 181

How kind and encouraging you all are, and I do really appreciate it.  It is just the pests are getting worse every year on my plot and I find the netting protection bit is the hardest.  Also, I've tried to have a little weedy wild damp area as I've had a couple of frogs, tho not this year. And a small quarter of a barrel as a pond with king cups etc, and one of the other plot holders has told me more than once that these are bringing in the pigeons.  Maybe right.  Yes,  I have great gooseberries!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137

Did anyone read Toby Buckland's column the other week, he said dont let the experts make you feel guilty, if you want to pop a few pellets down, (you dont have to have blue soil) and if you want a bit of peat then use it,  if you want to put something down to kill bugs in the soil then do it.

Whats the point in trying to grow your own to save air miles, then losing it to pests.after all, once you have had children you are fighting a losing battle with being green.

We worked out that from one old Austin 7 there are now 34 cars in my OH family alone, not to mention my lot!

If you think about it, the only true green is a dead one.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 512

I know how frustrating it seems when things get eaten. Half my runner plants have disappeared. My beetroot were up to about 2inches high yesterday but today have all vanished, a whole row of them! So today I did what Monty suggested, and lifted every pot on the patio next to the veg plot to search for slugs and snails. From a total of 25 pots I collected so many that after 40 I stopped counting! From giant 5inch long green slugs to the tiny grey ones, I was amazed. Obviously there are probably just as many in the soil of the veg plot, but at least I feel I've done something towards protecting what's left. Was going to order some nematodes but when I saw the price I thought I may as well buy veg from the supermarket instead of growing it!

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272

Just been outside and picked off half a dozen small grey slugs that were likely going to have another go at my Larkspur. I dropped them in salt,but even now it doesn't sit well with me.I tend to be the kind of person that will catch a spider or moth that is terrorising my wife or daughter and release it outside.But two of the Larkspur have been badly mauled where the flower spikes have tried to come through. Both plants are desperately trying to push out side shoots in an attempt to flower and the way I see it,I'm just doing the job of a Robin or Blackbird and those Larkspur are going to flower if its the last thing I do.Nature is tough...

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

To right fishy65 a call to arms against the enemy that attacks our horticultural food larder and our horticultural gardening treasures. As they say in 300 this is where we make a stand and they die !!!! Remember this day for it is ours forever!!!! Sparrrrrtaaans !!!! Prepare for glory.sorry but if had enough of birds insects bad seasons messing with the plants and people saying why do you bother it all tastes the same 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272

That's just it Kevin,it doesn't taste the same.Home grown has taste,supermarket bought is tasteless.My Dad is 84 and has been saying that for about 40 years and he's right image

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Hester...I sympathise.  I only have a small flower garden but it seems to be infested with many beasties and flies and allsorts this year that I'm losing a lot of my favourites.

I can't do that clever thing some of you do when you post a few photos and put text underneath them.

The top pic is oriental poppy leaf...whatever this is it has spread from the Astrantia major which sits behind the poppies.  The Astrantia always come up like this but this is the first time it has spread from them to any other plant.

My lovely Kilmarnock Willow has yellow stuff on all the leaves which is into the leaves and they are peppered yellow under each leaf.   I've lost 5 roses as every single bud comes up with the top eaten and inside is rotten.  My two peonies which I'd thought were a surefire hard won success from transplanting came up with buds.  All are completely rotten through with brown goo inside them, then the stems went brown and I cut them all off.  So I think I will have to uproot and throw the plants out.  I had 9 geums of different varieties which always bloomed beautifully in the spring.  Only 4 of the original ones (have two new ones) have come up.  Loads of lush foliage - not a single flower - and they were my best little 'display' area which gave me a thrill every year.   My Aucuba (spotted laurels) have always been really healthy and were in the Spring.  Two weeks ago the stems all started to lean outwards as if falling, leaves are varying shades of yellow, then black and I'm going to have to dig them out as well.  My Briza Media, another favourite, have thrown up the usual stalks but the lovely tinkling little bits which make them so beautiful are all in shreds, like hanging threads.  I could go on.  I've lost lots of my perennials this last couple of weeks and I'm concerned that it might be something to do with a soil improver compost I put all over the garden in early spring OR it's just the thousands of beasties of all kinds I've never seen before which seem to have decended on mass.

So I know how you feel!  Chin up! 

• JPSterckxJPSterckx Posts: 6
    Great article, slugs are a real problem for me, I have lost 4 batches of border plants, plus a few lilies this spring/summer so far to the pesky critters. Useful article, the sacrificial lettuce is a good idea, will try that one.