Forum home Plants

ID for 2 plants. please.

soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

I have a friend who's recently moved into a house in Dundee and has acquired small back and front gardens. Although small the gardens are mature, with a lot of plants she needs to identify.

I've been able to help with some but I couldn't with the two below. Both are familiar and I feel I should know them. The second one I'm sure I've also seen in basket arrangements.

Thanks, Ian

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/funkydance/My%20Garden%202014/alikisunknowflower1.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/funkydance/My%20Garden%202014/alikisunknownflower2a.jpg

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

The first looks like one of the annual bedding varieties of mimulus with loads of blooms!

The second looks like a heuchera.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Thanks a lot dovefromabove. I should have recognised the mimulus, it just wouldn't come to me. I've had them in my garden a couple of years ago. A really lovely flower.

I'm sure you're right about the heuchera as well. I'll pass the info on to my friend.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

It took a bit of hard thinking to get my brain to come up with it too Soulboy! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

The yellow one looks like calceolaria more than mimulus. Has it got pouched flowers? I cant tell from the photo.

Second one def a heuchera.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,994

I would go with a Calceolaria for the first one too.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Calceolaria integrifolia? maybe.

• KezzaKezza Posts: 90

don't know the first one, second one is definitely heuchera - I'd guess palace purple - as I've got them in my gardenimage

• soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Thanks everyone! Having studied the photo' more carefully and comparing the image to calceolaria integrifolia examples, I'm sure that's the correct ID. I can also see why it could be mistaken for mimulus and the photo' I posted doesn't have the best detail.

Thanks also for the specific ID on the heuchera.