Forum home Talkback

Heuchera 'Lime Marmalade' help!

Evening all

Just looking for some advice on some Heuchera Lime Marmalades I've planted in my garden along the border.

I planted them last August and they looked great until a couple of months ago. Of the 7 all but two have flowered and now look pretty sad for themselves. The border is against a 2 metre fence and is easterly facing. Lot of sun until about 3pm, then shaded. The pics I've included show how close the healthy one is to the withered one. I thought these were hardy plants. Soil is moist and slightly clay based.

Any help much appreciated as they look great in the garden and I don't really want to lose them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards

Lloyd

• I would agree with the above comments - did you check for signs of vine weevil grubs, in the roots? They can turn a perfectly healthy plant into a wilted dying mess within a week!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I agree with Verdun and in my garden, the lighter the colour, the more shady the planting position.  My yellow ones do well and get much less sunlight than yours, Lloyd - east facing, sun gone by 11am.  I've found a real 'good doer' is Key Lime Pie in clay soil.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

My Key Lime Pie loves being in almost total shade in the summer; it gets more light when the trees have dropped their leaves. It is not very vigorous; I have to protect it from encroaching Corydalis, but if I keep up to scratch on that it does well.image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,874

I love heucheras, esp Obsidian, but I've given up on them because of vine weevil. They seem to get all of mine in the end.

Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.