Forum home Talkback

Bags of potting compost purchased - absolutely rubbish

Keen3Keen3 Posts: 1

Hi, I'm new to this site & have joined to seek advice from gardeners about potting compost. Every bag I have purchased this year, various brands, all seems to be the same stuff. It has no real substance & dries out really quickly. Has anyone else experienced similar problems ? In the end I resorted to mixing it 50/50 with riddled soil to add some body to it. The bags all have the same printed information - Made from recycled garden waste, sand & a handful of plant food granules. Any advice gratefully received. 

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Keen, what are you using it for? image
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I've bought Clover multipurpose compost, which is lovely, no rubbish in it.

It seems to be a bad year for compost losts of posts about it, i couldnt really afford any this year, so have been buying that compressed coir stuff which is only 49p to make up 10L, seems fine for seed sowing. Havent really had cause to use it for anything else yet image
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

This problem is not going to go away as more and more has to be recycled to reach targets.

I am never really sure if coir is eco-friendly. Is it viable to ship it so far from its country of origin?

• I sell New Horizon peat free one, probably one of the better ones. It's all pretty grim stuff, whatever the brand, and I sell it!.  I advise always to use a good garden compost and garden soil instead. If I'm potting up, I mix the multi-purpose 2 - 1 by volume with JI No. 3.  Youre right about the water retention capability, very poor. It is, as you've said, mostly composted (not very well) wood fibre and added ingredients as a fertiliser. A very poor substitute for soil. HC

• Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Where do you get your coir from Rebecca?

Home bargains, seems great, couldnt resist when i saw the price! image
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

There's lots of rubbish about this year, as people say.   This is a J Arthur Bower grow-bag I'm usung as part of a trial at the moment, showing some of the stuff I found in there.  A bag of Hew Horizons Peat free Organic MPC was as bad.

They all have a fair bit of unrotted wood in them which is going to use up loads of the nitrogen as it decomposes image

Honestly, if you can afford it, get carbon gold, its lovely! image
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 406

Best compost this year Jacks Magic at Homebase,the best i have ever bought.