Perennial evergreen Grass

philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,170

I already have various grasses but I'm looking for something which will give some rich colour............maybe something similar to Uncinia rubra but taller growing if there is such a thing.

I have a spot......south facing .......can anyone give me a couple of ideas, names to look for ............would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanksimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

Stipa arundiacea, which is now called something I can't remember, has a nice glow to it in winter

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/graham-rice/10-agm-autumn-grasses

Anamathele lessoniana

Will it be Ok if I still refer to stipa?image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,653

Anemanthele lessoniana is the new name for stipa arundinacea

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,653

it's lovely but can be a bother as it seeds very freely

Devon.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,170

Thanks Nut and Hostafan............I've looked at that one............could do with something a bit more broad leafed ?  Being picky I know but it is to set off  the surrounds of my Indian Star Tortoise's burial urn...........after  her 45 years I want to get it rightimage

Thanks againimage

How about a phormium? Grasses aren't very broad leafed .

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

I'd have a look at some of the Dianellas - I have D. caerulea Casa Blue, which has rich blue-grey leaves and delicate blue flowers.  King Alfred has richer green leaves and purple and yellow flowers.  Both are drought and frost resistant.  

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

I do like Phormiums........... have a couple ......just wasn't sure about the space available............but I think you are right and I  I should  look on those lines........there are lots of different ones available ...........thanksimage

Only frost though Dove. They can't take a hard winter outside

I used to have some of thoseimage

Dove..........thanks........don't know the D's ...........I'll have a look at them too. 

What you do for pets...........even dead ones...........both my Parrot and Tortoise after 40 plus years...........gone within 12 months of each otherimage  So their little areas are important for meimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

Nut image  My dianellas have come from a rural Norfolk garden where they've survived the past 3 winters, with just a layer of mulch over them - my fingers are crossed image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !