Forum home Problem solving

Honeysuckle not flowering

• This is a picture of my honeysuckle , what is going please ? I've been watering more often but my flowers just do this then die

• Dovefromabove ? Dave Morgan ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,455

Can I see aphids there?

If so give the flowering shoots a strong blast with the hoze every day to wash them off.

Next year hang bird feeders close by (sunflower hearts are great) to attract bluetits - they'll feed their families on the aphids.

The bluetits and their fledgelings have been all over our honeysuckles for the past couple of months image

Hope that helps

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes we have aphids image but not sure that's all that's going on , the flowers are just shrivelling up and dying off leaving just a dry brown dead flowers , the earth is very shallow next to the fence could this be causing some of the problem ? If I built the soil up around the plant and up the stem would it root from the covered stem ? I don't think despite all the watering its able to hold onto the moisture cause its so dry there xxx Thanks again for all your help image

It's probably aphids and drought. 

This year I've invested in a soaker hose to go along the base of the north-facing fence which has a lot of clematis and honeysuckles on it.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks Dove , what about building up the soil around its base? would that help it do you think ? Moneys tight at the moment so a soaker hose is not an option at the moment image xxxx

Not sure that would solve the problem - honeysuckle needs a cool deep and moist rootrun, that means several feet deep. 

Put a soaker hose on your list for Father Christmas - in the meantime a large bucket full of water three times a week until mid October, whether it rains or not, should help - but the main problem is that it's not really the right place for a honeysuckle image

• Oh ok thanks , will try the bucket and if that doesn't work I'll have to think again Thanks Dove your heart must sink every time  you see my name ....."that blooming honeysuckle woman AGAIN!" image xxxx lol 

Quite the contrary!  Every time I see your name I think of Wimbledon and some wonderful tennis matches - for me your name's an amalgam of Billie Jean King and Tracy Austin - wonderful image