Annoying tree thing ID please

NetfellaNetfella Posts: 54

Hi folks,

I have this annoying tree/shrub that keeps popping up everywhere I don't know if it's seeding itself or sending out runners but whatever it's doing, it's boring, doesn't flower or fruit and pops up in the flower bed and in my hedges. Any ideas what it is?

Cheers

James

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,405

I think it's Salix caprea, goat willow but it looks a bit odd. Has it had a dose of something?

• NetfellaNetfella Posts: 54
    Oh willow, never thought of that! Looked like a sort of apple leaf to me. I haven't sprayed it with anything, it is as it comes.

It does have a red tinge but that seemed redder than usual. I'm sure you'll get a second opinion later on

Thanks. I'm sure I've never seen any catkins on them but perhaps they never last that long in my garden lol.

That one is too small for flowering. I'm surprised we don't have a second opinion yet

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Looks like a dogwood to me, are the stems red or do i need to go to specsavers? image

It all looks a bit redimage

Here's another picture I took earlier. The stems are a sort of russet colour. I can get another of the one in my hedge tomorrow. That one is about 12ft tall very spindly and does nothing but have foliage.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Are there any plum or damson trees nearby? I does remind me of the suckers that they sometimes throw up.

• I would have said that's a plum sucker. Where's the old stump, nearby?