Forum home Talkback

Fast (annual?) climbers for instant effect... now?

Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Oh dear.  I've messed up.

For various reasons (including new puppy!) I'm terribly behind in my gardening tasks and have also managed to kill off my young sweet pea plants.

I've got two obelisks (5 foot tall) by my front door, which were destined to be covered with sweet peas this summer.  Is there anything that I can plant now to grow up them which will give me similar sort of show over the summer? 

Any suggestions welcome!

Rosie

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    How about some lovely runner beans? image there are all sorts of flower colour and they used to be grown as ornementals.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,989

Climbig Nasturciums?

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,452

Yes, runner beans were introduced to this country as ornamental plants!  They're so pretty.

But I'd go with Punkdoc - nasturtiums!  Get the ones described as 'trailing' and with a bit of encouragement they'll go up there in a matter of moments.

Or what about Thunbergia - Black Eyed Susan?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Thanks - will nip to garden centre tomorrow and get some nasturtium seeds - or young plants if I can find them.

How fast do you think they would grow if planted now?  Is there anything I could do to speed them up?