Forum home The potting shed

books

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    Berghill wrote (see)

Imagine what would happen if one did that now!

It would solve the problem of repeat offending.

Goodness knows, there have been enough threads on here about shed and allotment vandalism.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Berghill, in my misspent youth I too raided an orchard even though we had our own fruit, a little gang of us scrambling through a hedge and on climbing back out saw the dreaded legs of the local bobby. He lined us up and with his glove full of beans gave us all a smart wrap round the ear, boys and girls.
    He then marched us up the drive to apologise to the old Lady who lived in the house which we duly did with lowered heads. She thanked the Bobby then told us to walk up the drive and take what we wanted as she did not use most of the fruit.
    Two points, not one of us even thought about disobeying the Bobby and second we never did go back to pick the fruit although my Father would pick it for her and put it in baskets at the end of the drive saying take what you want free.
    I did learn stolen fruits have a sting, that glove full of beans round the ear hurt, luckily my Father never found out or there would have been another thick ear.

Frank.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,308

Ah, but now there would be no policeman, except if you are very very lucky driving past cocooned in the safety of a metal box. And the most likely thing would be that he/she would use a Taser on you (but only if you waved a white stick). Then of course you would sue for massive compensation from the Police force and from the old lady for allowing the police to behave like that.

Having grown up in an area where the only greenery was the grass growing in the cracks of the cobbles in the back alleys, scrumping apples was not an option.

To go back to the original posting, I am very lucky in that I have a large collection of Gardening books ranging in age from the later 1800's up to modern Timber Press Monographs on various plants. I enjoy them as Books not just for the information they contain. Sadly we have a problem now in that I have run out of space for more and many of the books I would love to own are way beyond my pocket. And none of this type ever appear in Charity shops these days. They have become very much more aware of the value of books than they used to be.

• Just to let you know, that there are 45 used copies of "Gardeners' World Through the Years" (Hardcover) priced at just 1p per copy @ Amazon.

This is an excellent book and has to be a bargain at the price. image

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,050

D'you know I've got that & havent even read it yet! image J.

• My copy has a price of £20 on the inside leaf.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Talking about how books have changed. i have just read in an old Expert book that lilies can suffer from slugs, aphids,and occassionally mosaic virus .

Obviously red lily beetle had not appeared at time of printing.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,396

Christopher Lloyd image  Now you're talking!!!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,308

I have all of his. The Clematis one is very useful.