Forum home Talkback

French beans

bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
Oh knowledgable peeps! Ive tried 4 sewings of blue lake french beans, the ones in the ground got bean maggot- fair enough, it was a long shot anyhow. I then tried again with lemon multi vit watered on them, very good with the other beans, usless for blue lake. Ive tried them in modules - not a sausage! Ive tried them with pumpkins, slightly better, but only about 4 out of 20! I have other types of bean doing very nicely, so what has gone wrong? Maybe a bad batch? Or poor gardening? image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,162

I'd get a fresh batch of beans.

I sow singly in 3 inch pots under cover, and then plant out when they have the second set of true leaves. You just about have time to save the season.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

What seed company was it?  Some sell hopeless seed at inflated prices.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    In all fairness it was old seed which had been purchaced at a pound shop of some description, strangely, everything else was fine. Never mind, i doubt i will starve for a lack of beans! Thanks for the advice x
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

One of the best crops to grow.  It's impossible to get decent beans in the supermarket and greengrocers are not much better.  Try and track some down, even if they crop in September.

Well, ive also grown wax wax beans and an unpronounceable red stripy podded one, all doing very well, i wanted french beans for a 3 sisters bed, never mind, ive got that 4 that managed to grow.

However i have 20+ pumpkin plants- i dont even like pumpkin! Swings and roundabouts eh! image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,503

I used some old runner bean seed this year but germination was really rubbish and I ended up rushing out and buying plants from the GC - Fresh seed for me next year. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Me to i think image
    Just been out to check on the children....er i mean seedlings! Am still astounded by the yin yang bean shells, how does mother nature do it? Still no french beans tho! image