Forum home Tools and techniques

Making Raised Beds

I wonder if anyone is able to advise what type, size etc wood to buy to make a raised bed with. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

A friend made his with old scaffolding planks which are I think 9 inches by 1.5inches. Another used decking boards single storey. I would have used two decking boards high personally to give more depth.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

I have just made my first raised bed with decking boards (single storey).  I, also, would have liked doubled the height but that also raises the issue of the amount of compost/soil to fill it.  I had  a mound of spare soil saved from when my greenhouse base was put down,  I have used it to top up a flower border which I have put a raised edge on and fill my raised bed 2m x 1m and my soil mound has reduced by 75%.  So, I'm now trying to work out how best to generate enough soil for more raised beds.  Which ever way I think of it involves a lot of digging in the garden or digging deep into my pocket!

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

I've been advised to use sleepers so that's my plan.  Can get them from a decent wood mill. And cut to size. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,656

I've used heavy fencing timber for most of mine. Inexpensive and easily available from timber/builder's merchants. I concreted fence posts in to support them but short pegs would do if it's just one plank's depth, especially for veg beds rather than permanent planting.  I'd have loved sleepers  Snoodle, but would have been very pricey for me as they would have needed a lot of cutting to make the irregular shapes I have here. image

It really depends what purpose they're for too, and Lorraine's right - you have to factor in the cost of filling them as well. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....